Re: For review: 1 new and 3 updated articles about language declarations in HTML

On 22/08/2011 09:18, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Richard Ishida, Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:56:38 +0100:
>> On 22/08/2011 02:27, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> Gunnar Bittersmann, Mon, 22 Aug 2011 00:40:04 +0200:

>>> Is the '>   *' necessary? Why not rather do the following, if it is about
>>> the q element?:
>>>
>>> q:lang(en) { quotes: '“' '”' '‘' '’'; }
>>> q:lang(de) { quotes: '„' '“' '‚' '‘'; }
>>
>> The shape of the quotation marks depends on the language surrounding
>> the quotation, not on the language of the quotation itself.
>
> That's a very good point. But I don't feel that it is very well, if at
> all, communicated in the qa-lang-why article. Perhaps the article should
>
> * have a parenthesis about why the CSS selector looks as it does?
>
> * and/or change the phrase "different quotation marks for quotations in
> German text" to rather go something like this: "different quotation
> marks for quotations (regardless of the quotation's own language) that
> are placed in a German text (article, section)".
>
> * and/or have a text/section example which shows  - visually - what it
> means. For instance, you could take a well known quote, such as «Ich
> differ depending on the language of the article/text where the quote is
> used, rather on the language of the quote itself.

I don't want to turn this into a tutorial on how to use the q element
with CSS.  It's intended to be a quick illustrative example.  We will
need a separate article to discuss this properly, and that will be the
place to add detail.  However, I did add the following sidenote:

"There are pros and cons for using style-based quotation marks, and they
may not work in some cases while they work very well in others. This is
a topic for discussion in a different article. Note, however, that the
style of the quotation marks depends on the language of the text
surrounding the quote, not the language of the quote itself."

I also changed the description in the text to read:

"The following example shows how you could use different quotation marks
around a q element depending on whether the surrounding text is in
English or German."

Hopefully that adequately covers these points for this location.

Thanks,
RI

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/register