Re: For review: 1 new and 3 updated articles about language declarations in HTML

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:30:40 +0100
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: www-international@w3.org
On 22/08/2011 09:18, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Richard Ishida, Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:56:38 +0100:
>> On 22/08/2011 02:27, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> Gunnar Bittersmann, Mon, 22 Aug 2011 00:40:04 +0200:
>>> Is the '>   *' necessary? Why not rather do the following, if it is about
>>> the q element?:
>>> q:lang(en) { quotes: '“' '”' '‘' '’'; }
>>> q:lang(de) { quotes: '„' '“' '‚' '‘'; }
>> The shape of the quotation marks depends on the language surrounding
>> the quotation, not on the language of the quotation itself.
> That's a very good point. But I don't feel that it is very well, if at
> all, communicated in the qa-lang-why article. Perhaps the article should
> * have a parenthesis about why the CSS selector looks as it does?
> * and/or change the phrase "different quotation marks for quotations in
> German text" to rather go something like this: "different quotation
> marks for quotations (regardless of the quotation's own language) that
> are placed in a German text (article, section)".
> * and/or have a text/section example which shows  - visually - what it
> means. For instance, you could take a well known quote, such as «Ich
> differ depending on the language of the article/text where the quote is
> used, rather on the language of the quote itself.

I don't want to turn this into a tutorial on how to use the q element
with CSS.  It's intended to be a quick illustrative example.  We will
need a separate article to discuss this properly, and that will be the
place to add detail.  However, I did add the following sidenote:

"There are pros and cons for using style-based quotation marks, and they
may not work in some cases while they work very well in others. This is
a topic for discussion in a different article. Note, however, that the
style of the quotation marks depends on the language of the text
surrounding the quote, not the language of the quote itself."

I also changed the description in the text to read:

"The following example shows how you could use different quotation marks
around a q element depending on whether the surrounding text is in
English or German."

Hopefully that adequately covers these points for this location.

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011