Re: Draft for review: Personal names around the world

From: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 09:19:43 +0200
To: WWW International <www-international@w3.org>
CC: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
> (11/09/02 14:09), Richard Ishida wrote:
>> […] it does say later that "[…]  you would normally
>> refer to them using 泽东 (Ze Dong), not just 东 (Dong).", which I think
>> actually covers your point.

At first, I tended to agree with Richard …

Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu scripsit on Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:59:35 +0800
> The only point here is to help readers of this article make the right
> decision to store "泽东" in the givenName field of a database (in any
> normal circumstances). I am concerned that readers won't reach this
> conclusion after reading the sentences mentioned […]

… but I see Kenny’s point. The conclusion might be added in one
sentence. If the generational name stays mentioned in the article at all.

> The other point for removing the mention of generational name is that,
> although I don't know how often patronymic names are used in Iceland,

Almost 100%, AFAIS.

> the use of generational names among Chinese people is less than 50%

Even 5% of the Chinese people would be far more than 100% of the
Icelandics. So _this_ argument of yours is rather feeble.

Cheers,
Gunnar