Re: [css3-text] text-transform:capitalize

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 14:42:26 -0500
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
2011/2/22 Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>:
> Lowercasing the rest is helpful for
>
>  <abbr>AIDS</abbr>
>
> or, better yet,
>
>  acronym {text-transform: capitalize;}
>
> but harmful for
>
>  <h1>Scrooge McDuck richest duck ever</h1>

I don't think even lowercasing the rest is helpful for the "AIDS"
case. If I write AIDS, it means that according to my stylistic
preferences this particular acronym should be in all uppercase, and my
preferences don't suddenly change if I put it into a title. We are not
even counting acronyms that *must* have correct mixed case, such as
"kB", "dB", "DDoS", "GmbH" and the like.

Personally, I think the "title case" transformation is useless. It is
almost useless for French, probably useless for other non-English
languages, and even if we consider just English it is too
content-specific and there's really no sure way to get a result that's
right all the time.
--
cheers,
-ambrose