Re: [css3-text] text-transform:capitalize

From: Brady Duga <duga@ljug.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:31:50 -0800
Cc: Brady Duga <duga@ljug.com>, Xaxio Brandish <xaxiobrandish@gmail.com>, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, W3C style mailing list <www-style@w3.org>, "'WWW International' (www-international@w3.org)" <www-international@w3.org>
To: Mark Davis ☕ <mark@macchiato.com>

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:

> The problem is that the word "capitalize" is ambiguous: it may mean all of the letters, like THIS.

True, though typically if someone is asked to capitalize the word 'this' they will give you 'This'. We commonly talk about capitalizing proper nouns or the first word of a sentence, and that doesn't mean to write it in all caps. Though, I see your point - we generally don't talk about capitalizing an entire string with the intent that the first letter of every word should be written as a capital. But we do often use the term "title case" to refer to an entire string, and it is not meant in the way we are defining here. While "capitalize" isn't perfect, "titlecase" seems even worse.

--Brady