Re: dollar sign in CSS variable

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 00:22:38 +0900
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: WWW International <www-international@w3.org>
(11/02/14 19:16), Richard Ishida wrote:
> [snip]
>
> As for $, since it is widely used in PHP, Perl and regular
> expressions, I think the cat is out of the bag and the horse has
> bolted the stable. If it is necessary to prepend variables with
> something, then this seems a reasonable choice, because it will be
> familiar.

Indeed.

I forgot to mention that the alternative syntax is to use var(x)
(function notation) instead of $x. The person who proposes CSS variable
(new version), Tab Atkins, was actually in favor of the function
notation but got overwhelming negative feedback from implementors and
authors because of it's verbosity. Hence, in the end, the dollar prefix
was chosen.

Anyone who has a strong opinion against the dollar prefix might want to
send this feedback to www-style@w3.org as an argument against the dollar
prefix.

Cheers,
Kenny