Re: Cool IRIs & diacritics, for a change

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:33:10 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Leif Halvard Silli, Sat, 5 Feb 2011 11:44:44 +0100:
>> For 'file' addresses it's up to browser and OS
>> how they resolve them.
>
> Yes. And that side works.
>
> Till the world becomes perfect, a Best Current Praxis for IRI work on a
> Mac is needed ... I would suggest this one:
>
> 	a) Repertoire: know which of your non-ASCII chars are affected;
> 	b) Then - you have these alternatives:

I can add a step zero:

 	   0) Get a FTP programme which, on upload, translates UTF8-Mac
 	      (decomposed) file names into NFC (composed) file names

> 	   1) avoid exactly those non-ASCIIs in all IRIs;
> 	   2) don't use Cool IRIs (if they contain the affected letters)
> 	   3) use decomposed values inside @href;

With a FTP programme that translates to NFC, you are more or less
saved.

As a result, you will be able to use "Cool IRIs" (including typing them
in the browser's URL field) in your online version, whereas on your
local Mac running Apache, the problem will remain.
--
leif halvard silli