Fwd: [whatwg] type=email and IDN

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 03:34:09 +0900
To: WWW International <www-international@w3.org>

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [whatwg] type=email and IDN
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:55:04 +0100
From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>

This must have been brought up before as e.g. http://pukupi.com/post/2070/
is from June 2010, but I could not find anything quickly. Apparently
people are using IDNs and cannot get them validated with email controls
because the specification prohibits this. We should probably change that.
Either by saying it should first be converted to Punycode and then
validated, or by enhancing the pattern. (The email RFC might still be
outdated on this point, I have not checked, but we have decided to not
follow it anyway as it fails to match email addresses people actually use.)