Re: [css3-text] line break opportunities are based on *syllable* boundaries?

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:59:03 -0500
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Cc: kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp, addison@lab126.com, kennyluck@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, www-international@w3.org
CE Whitehead scripsit:

> I believe it is correct to say "word" here (not "syllable"), but don't
> know what to do about languages that do not use word deliminters,
> and can provide no references for Korean, Japanese, or Chinese (though
> yes a lexical resource seems best).

Korean uses spaces, so it's not an issue.

Chinese and Japanese don't have a problem breaking words up (as I have
posted, the notion of "word" in Chinese is a technical linguistic one
rather than something autonomous) and work at the character (grapheme
cluster) level.  So line breaks are not a problem there either.

The Unicode Standard has extensive discussions of all this.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side