Re: What's the definition of a word? (was: [css3-text] line break opportunities are based on *syllable* boundaries?)

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:48:57 -0500
To: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@w3.org>
Cc: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, WWW International <www-international@w3.org>
Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu scripsit:

> Speaking about this, this is editorial but the last time I read the
> spec, I got a little bit perplexed about the definition of "word". Is
> there a plan to briefly mention what a "word" is in the introduction
> section? Or perhaps there should be a glossary that puts "word" and
> "grapheme cluster" together? I doubt that there would be a consistent
> and precise definition throughout the spec but a brief and non-normative
> introduction seems helpful.

There is no single definition of "word" even within a language, never
mind across all languages.  It is a pre-theoretical term that can be
standardized in a variety of ways depending on the application.  Note that
if you don't know what "ji1guang1" means, you don't ask: "Ji1guang1, what
word (ci2) is that?" you ask "Ji1 guang1, these two zi4, what are they?"

--
What asininity could I have uttered     John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
that they applaud me thus?              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan