Re: [css3-text] text-transform: han-numerals

From: 신정식 <jshin1987+w3@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:40:22 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "<www-style@w3.org>" <www-style@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org
2010/10/29 Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>

> On Oct 29, 2010, at 3:16 PM, "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Brad Kemper wrote on Friday, October 29, 2010 2:07 PM
> >> How about a fourth option for general number formatting? For
> >> instance (where "d" stands for "digit"):
> >>
> >> Number-format: "didid"; /* ideographic "place" separators and
> >> no change to decimal market. Perhaps in Western scripts this
> >> one is the same as adding commas or localized equiv.?  */
> >>
> > I'd suggest
> > Number-format: d千d百d十d;
>
> I'm no expert on writing in Kanji/Chinese. Would you need to also indicate
> characters for ten thousand, million, billion, etc. too? Or are is it
> unambiguous once you've gone this far (aside from the different ways to
> write "3").

CLDR (Common Locale Data Repository) has RBNF (rule based number formatt)
data for various locales. For instance, take a look at
Chinese/Japanese/Korean  RBNF data at

http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/zh.xml
http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/zh_Hant.xml<http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/zh.xml>
http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/ja.xml<http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/zh.xml>
http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/ko.xml<http://www.unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/rbnf/zh.xml>

See the following two docs for the RBNF syntax :

http://userguide.icu-project.org/formatparse/numbers/rbnf-examples
http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/classRuleBasedNumberFormat.html

Jungshik