Re: [css3-writing-modes] direction vs. writing mode in markup vs. style

On 2010/10/26 17:11, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach "Martin J. Dürst":

>   >  Sorry to jump into this discussion without potentially understanding all
>   >  the details, but while it is to a large extent possible e.g. in Japanese
>   >  to switch from horizontal to vertical just by switching styling, there
>   >  are some aspects of this switch that need more work. A typical example
>   >  is that in horizontal text, you may use Arabic numerals (0123...),
>   >  whereas in vertical text, Kanji numbers (〇一二三...) may be preferred.
>
> That's an interesting use case which can be handled by the above code.
> For example, you could have:

> horizonal.css:
>
>     .kanji { display: none }
>
> vertical.css:
>
>     .arabic { display: none }

Yes, you can do that. It's just that in contrast to general styling,
where you change direction, adjust margins,..., in this case you have to
change the contents. In general, styling should work without having to
change the contents.

Regards,   Martin.

<historic_detour>
> PS. Martin is responsible for naming the 'span' element. As such, he
> has contributed a lot of bytes to the web :-)

Well, Håkon proposed to name it <c>, in parallel to <p>. But that
wouldn't have been a parallel, because <p> is one paragraph, whereas
(except Håkon maybe) that <span> was a better idea than <c>. My main
reason for bringing up that argument was that I thought <c> would be
useful for special characters such as Kanji variants, Emoji, and the
like. But that up to now hasn't worked out.
</historic_detour>