Re: [css3-writing-modes] direction vs. writing mode in markup vs. style

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:33:01 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "'WWW International'" <www-international@w3.org>
Also sprach fantasai:

 >     (The 'direction' property does not actually belong in CSS: it exists
 >     in CSS in order to allow the HTML 'dir' attribute's functionality
 >     for raw XML documents. This use case probably should have been
 >     addressed with an xml:dir attribute rather than with CSS.)

I agree that users and authors probably never should use the
'direction' property, but I disagree that it doesn't belong in CSS.
It's used in the default style sheet for HTML [1]; a formatter needs
to know the direction of the text in order to display it and CSS is a
handy way to convey that information. Likewise, I think it would have
been better to convey link information through CSS than to create
xlink:href. But that's a different story.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/sample.html

Cheers,

-h&kon