RE: [css3-ruby] [css3-text] Position values and before/after definitions in LR vertical writing mode

Well, if the issue is only about Ruby, I can agree with you. It's too much work compared to what you get. But unfortunately it's not.

If you draw alphabets, they are rotated clockwise by 90 degree. If you underline them, the line is on left. If you superscript them, they move to right. All these indicate that, at the character level, right is the direction for "before", and this conflicts with the block progression.

If underline is on left, naming that side as "before" is logically incorrect, right?

Originally we had only one direction, right. We renamed it to "physical direction" had split it to page progression and block progression because we understand that in RTL and in vertical writing mode, they are actually different.

And now we're looking at a new case where block progression differs from character progression. So the proposal looks to me that we need another level of the definition in the logical directions.

start|end|before|after the block
over|under the character

well, if you have find words, I'm fine with them. But as long as target object is different, we need different naming system. It could be:

before-char|after-char

A little lengthy, and a little misleading from English point of view though.

I hope we won't find more new cases that require yet another level of logical direction though :)

Regards,
Koji Ishii