RE: [css3-ruby] [css3-text] Position values and before/after definitions in LR vertical writing mode

I believe that the issue is not related to the baseline; In vertical text the baseline is often down the center. The problem with Mongolian seems to be that it is asserted that "ruby" would be placed on the righthand side of a line, which, since Mongolian is a TB-LR language would be the "after" edge of the line. This would conflict with "before" being the default position.

I do not have any examples of Mongolian text with annotations. All of my examples lack such. I would like to see examples to have a better idea of the problem.

If it is necessary to introduce new terms for annotation positions, I would certainly prefer "over/under" to "above/below" because, at least, the "over/under" pair relate to "overlines" and "underlines"

I think that making the default value of the ruby position be "auto" is a much better way to handle the language differences "automatically", however.

Steve Zilles