Re: [css3-ruby] [css3-text] Position values and before/after definitions in LR vertical writing mode

On 09/27/2010 09:33 AM, KangHao Lu (Kenny) wrote:

>> Before and after refer to the position relative to the
>> block progression, in my mind. It's not about top of line coincidence.
>>
>> I think that above and below are confusing, since they suggest physical
>> locations that are not appropriate for vertical text.
>
> I do think this is confusing as well. It only makes sense if you imagine
> some English words embedded in vertical writing and then you figure out
> the "above" side is the "right" side. "over" and "under" are maybe better.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

> The question is, does this orientation depend on
> "text-underline-position"? I have the feeling that this will make things
> even more confusing.

No, I don't think that would make sense. :)

> Can we actually make the initial value for "ruby-position" "auto"? So it
> will default to "before" for Japanese, "right" for zh-TW, and "after"
> for Mongolian. I think this is similar to how "text-underline-position"
> is defined.

I'm skeptical that this auto-position feature is actually a good idea.
The problem is coming up with a definitive list of all possible language
tags that would want the position one way rather than the other way. I
would rather have the author set the style. It's designed to inherit
independently of everything else, so for a monolingual document, setting
it once on the root element is sufficient.

~fantasai