Re: Proposal: Input Method Editor API

From: Makoto Kato <m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:55:46 +0900
To: "Hironori Bono (坊野 博典)" <hbono@google.com>
CC: www-international@w3.org
  Hi, Bono-san.

On 2010/09/22 15:56, Hironori Bono (坊野 博典) wrote:
> Greetings Kato-san,
>
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Makoto Kato<m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>  wrote:
>>   Hi, Bono-san.  This is interesting.
>>
>> 1. Why do we need candidate list interface?  Candidate list isn't simple.
>>   Modern input method shows attributes in the list such as Hiragana or
>> meaning or etc.
> I just would like to hear opinions about how much this interface is
> needed. As written in The InputMethodManager::candidates attribute,
> this interface is only for Windows and I'm also wondering if this is
> useful.

I think candidate list should be rendered by IM.  Although a OS such as
Windows has candidate list APIs, I have never seen that native client
application draws this lists and use it.

Also, example 1 has typo.  Use setCarentRectangle instead of
moveCandidateWindow.  But I think that it is better if there is a API to
set position of candidate window.  It is simple instead of
setCarentRectangle, and can set candidate window to better position easily.

>> 2. I don't make sense that default of textColor of CompositionAttribute is
>> black. Default should be depended on UA.  (If user selects text color to
>> grey in setting of UA, it should set gray.).  Also, slected/target range
>> should use HighlightText of CSS System color.
> Thank you for noticing this. I will update my document as written in
> my reply to Nakano-san.
>
>> 3. Is it enough that attribute of CompositionAttribute is "selected" only?
>>   Japanese input system has "converted", "non-converted" and "target".
> In brief, I did not include these attributes because I'm wondering if
> we can get them on Linux and Mac. If I recall correctly, GTK uses
> pango attributes and Mac uses the attributes of NSAttributeString. (As
> far as I have investigated them, they do not have such IME-specific
> attributes.)

I see.  We should remove specific OS case.

-- Makoto