Re: bidi embedding for block-level elements

On 07/23/2010 01:35 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, fantasai wrote:
>>
>> <selector representing all HTML5 block-level elements>  {
>>    display: block;      /* I assume you already have this somewhere */
>>    unicode-bidi: embed; /* This is the new rule to add. */
>> }
>>
>> <selector representing all HTML5 list-item elements>  {
>>    display: list-item;  /* Assumed to exist already */
>>    unicode-bidi: embed; /* This is the new rule to add. */
>> }
>>
>> title, table, tbody, thead, tfoot, tr, td, th {
>>    unicode-bidi: embed;
>> }
>
> This would mean you couldn't have more than about 60 inline<div>s nested
> inside each other without bidi breaking down. Is that an acceptable risk?
> It seems like it would be a weird thing to tell authors.

I think it's an acceptable risk. 60 levels of nesting on a block
element that's been set to "display: inline" seems like a rather
odd case to hit.

The risk of messed up reordering due to /not/ isolating the block
content is, I suspect, much higher than the risk of running out
of bidi embedding levels due to nested "display: inline" DIVs.

I agree it's a weird thing to tell authors. But hardly any of them
will ever need to care.

~fantasai