Re: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:58:53 -0500
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: ntounsi@emi.ac.ma, www-international@w3.org
Richard Ishida scripsit:

> > "A coded character set is a set of characters for which a unique
> > number has been assigned to each character. Units of a coded character
> > set are known as code points."

I think this wording is needlessly confusing: a CCS is not a set, but a
mapping.  I propose:

"A coded character set is a mapping from characters to numbers known as
code points.  Each character is assigned a different number."

There's no ASCII but US-ASCII: see http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/ascii.html .

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org   http://ccil.org/~cowan
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.