Re: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:43:11 +0100
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Richard Ishida, Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:20:29 -0000:
> Comments are being sought on this article prior to final release.
> Please send any comments to this list (www-international@w3.org). We
> expect to publish a final version in one to two weeks.
>
> See http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp

Two more commentaries:

	1) The article talks about "to be <em>encoded</em> as Unicode":

]] Note that this does not mean that all HTML and XML documents have to
be <em>encoded</em> as Unicode! [[

- "encoded as Unicode" gives me the impression that Unicode can be
considered an encoding. Whereas for the most part the article
emphasizes that - quote: "Unicode is  a universal character set".
Would it not be better to say "encoded _in_a_Unicode_encoding_"? (In
line with the heading "Consider using a Unicode encoding".)

	2) W.r.t. the heading "Consider using a Unicode encoding":

- would it not be ideal if the text under that heading listed or linked
to the [relevant] Unicode encodings? Currently the Unicode encodings
are listed under the heading "One character set, multiple encodings",
which says: "The encoding forms that can be used with Unicode are
called UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32."
--
leif halvard silli