Re: what's the language of a document ?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:06:12 +0200
Cc: Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
On Feb 7, 2010, at 20:01, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> I think it's fair to say that right now, <html lang> is not so
> uniformly useful that authors need to be warned if they omit it.  If
> the *average* page (some random hit from Google, say) doesn't have any
> use for it, then I don't think it should raise a warning -- warnings
> should be useful to most authors, not only a small minority.
> Otherwise you're making warnings as a whole less useful.

Moreover, making validators emit a message (of any kind) about the absence of a language declaration is likely to lead to authoring tools putting in a placeholder in order to silence validators. As a result, at least "en" and "en-US" can often be taken to mean "placeholder".

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi