Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 03:02:00 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
fantasai, Wed, 05 May 2010 17:00:36 -0700:
> I suggest changing this sentence:
>      # This pragma sets the <dfn>pragma-set default language</dfn>.
> To something like this:
>      | This pragma sets the <dfn>pragma-set audience language</dfn>,
>      | which, if present, must <q>describe the natural language(s) of the
>      | intended audience of the document</q>. [HTTP]

According to the HTML5 spec draft, then it is possible to have a META
Content-Language element, which does not result in a pragma-set default
language. This happens whenever the meta Content-Language value is the
empty string or multiple languages. As a consequence, the pragma-set
default language, can only be a single language - it can't be whether
multiple languages or no language.

To put it another way: Your concrete proposal would have been
absolutely meaningful, if meta Content-Language *always* resulted in a
pragma-set default language.

I'm looking to see if it can be worked around, without too many other
changes. A problem with the spec is that it is authored in such a way
that one gets the impression that it is a reason to say "splendid", if
the pragma-set fallback/default kicks in.
--
leif halvard silli