RE: ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:10:57 -0400
To: <ishida@w3.org>, <public-html@w3.or>, <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, <www-international@w3.org>, <addison@lab126.com>

Hi!
From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:47:50 +0100

> I expect it to be *much* easier to explain to content authors: You set the
> language of the content using the language attribute. Oh and btw if for some
> reason you fail to do this, the browser may go look at *other* information,
> ie. the metadata in the http header, to see if it can guess at a language.
> RI
The above is all that needs saying I think;
of course some declarations will not be done correctly;
likewise some people will forget to close list items:
li
li
li
resulting in unintended embeddings;
but we don't disallow li because some writers may unintentionally embed these.
I absolutely prefer that lang=the empty string be allowed for the
meta http-equiv="content-language" element.
Sorry, and best wishes.

Best,
--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com