RE: Regarding update of language declaration tests (I81NWG)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:17:05 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org
Leif Halvard Silli, Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:38:49 +0200:
> CE Whitehead, Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:19:15 -0400:
>> Leif Halvard Silli,  Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:45:31 +0200
>> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language

> Thanks for the pointer. Since XHTML5 and HTML5 support the empty
> string, the consequence of the advice in that article, must be that one
> should *not* use "und" in XHTML5 and HTMl5.

Btw, the article states that

On the very rare occasion when the whole document is in an undefined
language it is better to just not declare the default language of the

However, this advice does not help the slightest, if the user agent is
inheriting a language from the Content-Language HTTP header or the
HTTP-EQUIV meta element. Which is why I think that the semantics of an

should remain as it is today, in all user agents except Mozilla:
Firstly, it causes the user agent to not search for a fallback language
in the HTTP header. Secondly, it has the semantics of not defining any

More or less as expressed in my Change Proposal for HTML5. [1] (And
that Change Proposal also links to some of the test cases, you asked
about, CE.)

leif halvard silli