RE: Regarding update of language declaration tests (I81NWG)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:45:31 +0200
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
CE Whitehead, Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:02:48 -0400:
> Why not publish your own test results for language = null?

The HTMLwg should be aware of them. But it would great if the I18N WG
also presented tests. Anyway, the subject of the empty xml:lang="" was
discussed this week in the public-rdfa mailinglist. I highly recommend
reading Johannes Koch's presentation of the status of the empty
xml:lang="" attribute.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa/2010Apr/0009

It seems like in XHTML version 1, then the empty string was forbidden.
:-)

> I see that ie8 supports it!
  [...]
> ie8 also does not support language declarations in the body element
> -- in spite of Microsoft Word generated html pages' automatic
> inclusion of this attribute.

Yup, there are many bugs. So reason to present tests.

> (One note regarding Ian's tests at:
> http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/meta/content-language/002.html

> with a declaration lang=en\,fr in an attribute I don't see how the
> browser will recognize the language  [...] is that a typo?

Not a typo. A test. It tests whether the UA obey *its* law. It is for
the Web page *authors* to obey the requirement to use *meaningful*
language tags.
--
leif halvard silli