Re: More best practices for RTL scripts (markup vs CSS for bidi).

On 11/26/2009 05:09 PM, Adil Allawi wrote:
> Actually the reality is worse. Below is your page drawn in Gecko (Firefox) on
> the left and Webkit (Safari) on the right:
>

> There is a thread on this list started by Aharon from Google that talks about
> exactly theses sort of issues that has received too little discussion. The real
> problem is that the HTML standard is not explicit enough on what should happen
> so you will get different results on different browsers.
>
> Your example is in a fuzzy area. As far as the markup is concerned there are
> three distinct paragraphs but for the user there is one sentence. According to
> the HTML standard, the elements should be ordered according to the Unicode bidi
> algorithm, however that algorithm has nothing to say about what to do when lines
> of a paragraph are drawn inline. I would personally say that the Gecko engine is
> doing the right thing in this case.

I assume your Gecko example is using a very recent version of Gecko,
such as a nightly build or a beta of Firefox 3.6? I fixed this issue
only a few months ago.

The HTML standard does specify what to do in this case, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#style-bidi:

"When a block element that does not have a dir attribute is transformed
to the style of an inline element by a style sheet, the resulting
presentation should be equivalent, in terms of bidirectional formatting,
to the formatting obtained by explicitly adding a dir attribute
(assigned the inherited value) to the transformed element."

In practice, however, since browsers are not consistent, authors will
have to use CSS properties to achieve the expected results.