Sorry that I had not read the draft and that I did not make myself clear originally!
From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:38:29 +0900
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
CC: ishida@w3.org, ian@hixie.ch, simonp@opera.com, divya.manian@gmail.com, martin.kliehm@namics.com, cowan@ccil.org, public-html@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

On 2009/10/30 3:47, CE Whitehead wrote:
> I personally tend to agree with Roy Fielding, John Cowan, and Tex Texin actually, and not with Martin and Richard Ishida because I regulary create documents in two languages (French-English; French-Old French); following Richard Ishida's recommendations in "Specifying Languages in XHTML and HTML Content," I list all the languages in the meta content tag (when I have access to it; because my documents are generally served from a locale I don't control, I don't have access to the http headers).  I still set the html language to one or the other when possible and then if I get time specify additional information in relevant elements).

I'm sorry, but can you please explain where Richard and I differ from
Roy/John/Tex?
Sorry!
the issue for me was Ian Hickson's comment (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2009OctDec/0023.html) that:

"I've updated the spec to say that when the higher-level protocol reports
multiple languages, they are all ignored in favour of the default
(unknown)."
I did reread Richard Ishida's post--and actually; he does not seem to say that we need to do away with all
differences between the http header, the meta content tag, and the html tag so I must have misread him the first time through--
in fact, there's nothing he said that I disagree with, so sorry.
>It could be that we have very minor differences of how we
>have expressed ourselves, but I think we all agree that HTML5 has to be
>changed to treat the Content-Language: HTTP response header and the
>corresponding <meta> "pragma" the same way.
Agreed
>> I think there will always be cases where people will not tag a document correctly; if a tag is needed it makes no sense to eliminate it because someone cannot yet use it properly.

>I have to say that I slightly prefer ignoring multiple values in
>value for the default language, but that's a minor issue.

Fine, if it's a minor issue . . .  and it's all up to the applications in the end anyway how they will handle things!

> And I think that Tex makes a point too--someone might specify a document language as fr-FR and fr-LU but not fr-CA and it makes no sense to default to unknown.
> . . .

> As for the "fr-FR and fr-LU but not fr-CA" example, using "fr" as a
> default may seem obvious to some, but then that would include "fr-CA",
> which the author actually didn't include. So just using "fr" would
> actually be wrong.
Agreed, Canadian French is unique.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com