Re: Comments on Best Practices for Authoring HTML: RTL Scripts (Editorial comments only; was "Comments on Best Practices for Authoring HTML: RTL Scripts")

Hi!  Although I found proofreading errors in Section I, I have not found any errors in punctuation, spelling, etc. in sections 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; I did find a few such errors in sections 7 and 8 (I've now read through section 8, Best Practice 10.  I may have a few comments on the content too, but I'll send these separately).

(Sorry for sending these in piecemeal; do you prefer these editorial comments for the whole document at once or is it o.k. to send these comments to you "piecemeal," as I've been doing??)

(Following are editorial comments on Sections 7 and 8 of
http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-bidi/)

* * *

Section 7, BP 8,  "DISCUSSION," Par 1, 1rst sentence

{COMMENT:  I guess "quote" has migrated to 'nounhood' (according to www.wordreference.com ) but I learned that "quotation" was the noun and "quote" the verb; I'd prefer "quotation" here.}

"This best practice is useful where nested, inline text, such as a quote, is bidirectional."

"This best practice is useful where nested, inline text, such as a quotation, is bidirectional."

* * *
Section 7, BP 8, "DISCUSSION," Par 2, 2nd sentence

{COMMENT:  Change "is" to "be" at least in U.S. English (don't know about B.E.) We still require the present subjunctive "be" here in U.S. English}

"It is recommended that markup is used . . . "

"It is recommended that markup be used . . . "

* * *

Section 7, BP 8, Example 11

{COMMENT I'm having problems with the placement of the comma here--should it be adjacent to the word W3C, or should it follow the Hebrew words, "Internationalization Activity??"  (The direction that the comma is pointing in this example is confusing!)  See also my comments on Example 16, below.}

* * *

Section 7, BP 8, "DISCUSSION: Using Markup," Par 2, 2nd sentence

{COMMENT:  Insert "that" after "and" }

"It is possible that the embedded text is not surrounded by markup, and you may need to add it . . ."

"It is possible that the embedded text is not surrounded by markup, and that you may need to add it . . ."

* * *

Section 8, BP 10, Example 16

{COMMENT:  Again as with Example 11, I am having problems with the comma; where you've placed it is not right!  The comma should immediately follow 'al-Bh.riin (going from right to left)!  And it should be turned a different direction.  The white space thus comes to the left of the comma not to the right.}

* * *
Section 8, BP 10, Par 3, 1rst sentence

{COMMENT:  run-on sentence;
Change the first comma (,) to a full-stop (.) and begin a new sentence with "because."}

"Whereas Example 16 shows a case that occurs only rarely in English, because of the likelihood of foreign text showing up in languages written with the Arabic or Hebrew scripts, this situation is much more common when writing in those languages. Example 17 shows a typical case."

"Whereas Example 16 shows a case that occurs only rarely in English.  Because of the likelihood of foreign text showing up in languages written with the Arabic or Hebrew scripts, this situation is much more common when writing in those languages. Example 17 shows a typical case."

* * *
Section 8, BP 10, Example 18, Par 1, 2nd sentence

{COMMENT:  the following text is fine--excellent style; NO CHANGE needed; though we just got into a long discussion about whether to use the possessive pronoun and treat the -ing verb ["being"] as a gerund in such cases, I feel doing so would not quite sound like modern English.|

"This leads to them being displayed the wrong way round."

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com