Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:46:33 +0100
To: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
CC: www-international@w3.org
Christophe Strobbe 2009-02-19 10.19:
> Hi Martin,
>
> At 02:33 18/02/2009, Martin Duerst wrote:
>> At 20:05 09/02/17, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>>
>> >Is it really a good idea to generate heading numbers through CSS?
>> It's very convenient for authors, but heading numbers are not really a
>> styling aspect (as opposed to content).
>>
>> What kind of numbering you use is very much a styling aspect.
>
> *What kind* of numbering may be a styling aspect, but the presence or
> absence of numbering isn't. That's what I was really after.

Well, the kind of numbering can be really crucial. The *most*
important thing is in theory that the numbering (re)starts at the
point the author specifies. However, if a book has page 1 twice,
then it got a problem ...

If we look at law texts published on the web, they will usually (I
think) not rely on HTML or CSS list numbering, but rather type
them directly. Why? Because the numbering is crucial for the
identification of sections and law paragraphs. On cannot leave
this over to what possibly could go wrong in a UA.

But perhaps more important: When a web page relies on HTML or CSS
list numbers, the numbers typically disappaer if one copies and
paste them (e.g. into e-mail)  Also, one cannot, in most UAs,
search for a HTML or CSS number either, regardless of whether one
use <ol type="some-list-style-type"> or ol{list-style-type:..}.  A
law text that is impossible to navigate is useless.

So it is far from only a screen reader problem. It isn't even only
a CSS problem, since <ol type="some-value"> got the same problems.
--
leif halvard silli