Re: Armenian numbering: findings, recommendations and request to CSS

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> fantasai 2009-02-13 20.32:
>
>> alpha("a-z")
>> alpha("a-f,q-z")
>> alpha("do,re,mi,fa,so,la,ti")
>
> Do you use 'alpha' for "latin alphabet"? Or could alpha be used for
> Cyrillic as well?

alpha() is simply functional notation. What characters you put in its
argument is unrelated to its name. I chose alpha() rather than something
else because it is alphabetic systems that we are discussing here. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/#numeric

> If you are taking your pattern from the way RegEx/GREP
> is working, then remember that e.g. \p{Armenian} matches any character
> in the Armenian block.[1]
>
> Hence e.g.
>             alpha(armenian)
> could also be useful.

For a lot of languages this might wind up matching various bits of
punctuation and other characters that aren't quite letters.

> Btw, why did you pick "alpha"? Why not "numb"? Or do you think that e.g.
> pure symbols should be excluded or have another name?

If we needed numeric(), it would treat the first character as a
zero value. I'm happy to just add keywords for the numeric systems,
however. There are vastly fewer permutations of them. Afaict, given
the way they've encoded Persian separate from Arabic-Indic, none
in fact.

~fantasai