Re: "Unicode ready" - was Re: Handling Aboriginal Languages

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:47:31 -0500
To: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

Please note that the quotes in "Unicode ready" meant to convey "for
lack of a better term".

I could call Unicode "Tlagi ready", but I sincerly believe that would
have confused the issue (because you would have 5,000+ versions of
this term, one for each language).

Hope this clarifies my position (but probably not).

>At 20:12 14/01/2009, Elizabeth J. Pyatt wrote:
>>Actually Unicode isn't about languages so much as charcters within
>>written standards for the languages.  A language is "Unicode ready"
>>if Unicode has all the characters used in its writing system. (...)
>'A language is "Unicode ready" if' sounds like putting the cart
>before the horse. Big Brother Unicode doesn't rule the world, it is
>only meant to serve that part of the world that uses computers. It
>would be more accurate to say that Unicode is ready for a language
>when it contains all the characters in that language's writing
>Best regards,
>Christophe Strobbe
>K.U.Leuven - Dept. of Electrical Engineering - SCD
>Research Group on Document Architectures
>Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
>B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
>tel: +32 16 32 85 51
>Please don't invite me to LinkedIn, Facebook, Quechup or other
>"social networks". You may have agreed to their "privacy policy",
>but I haven't.
>Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer