Re: Auto-detect and encodings in HTML5

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> <...snip...>
>
> Agreed. I have no problem with authoring tools or servers producing UTF-8
> by default, as long as they explicitly flag it. In fact, HTML tooling
> defaulting to UTF-8 would be great! But as I understand it, the proposal on
> the table was to change the behavior of HTML consumers, and that I would
> object to.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

I dislike ALL implicit defaults in computer interfaces - they fail and are
obscure.

I suggest that claiming conformance to HTML5 means that you MUST always
supply an explicit charset declaration on the Content-Type line - no
confusion
at all for older browsers and content management systems.

Tying ANY implicit charset default to DOCTYPE of HTML5 would be obscure
and actually impair interoperability.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc