Re: Auto-detect and encodings in HTML5

On Jun 1, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> There is one aspect that you are - again - forgetting, and that is
>> authoring tools and web servers.
>
> I don't think Maciej forgot anything like that.  He's talking about
> the proposal that was made: that HTML consumers (not producers)
> default to UTF-8 whenever they see "<!DOCTYPE html>".  He is clearly
> talking about the case "unless the author explicitly declares an
> encoding", where "author" is anything that's producing HTML.
> "declares an encoding" could take the form of an HTTP header or a
>
>> If complying authoring tools had to default to UTF-8 whenever
>> someone select to create a HTML 5 document (much the same way that
>> XML default to UTF-8/-16), then that would be a bonus and
>> simplification and _motivation_ for using HTML 5.
>
> Presumably by "default" you mean encode it as UTF-8 and then include
> the appropriate <meta> tag?  That sounds like a pretty good idea to
> me.
>
>> The next level should be that web servers defaults to sending a
>> charset header which said "UTF-8" whenever they saw the HTML 5
>> doctype.
>
> Very few web servers look inside the document content when deciding
> on headers.  I don't believe the two most common ones (Apache and
> IIS) do so by default....
>
>> Thus we could leave the Web browser behaviour as drafted, but
>> require utf-8 as default from serves and authoring tools.
>
> I doubt you'll hear any browser developers complaining about this!
> I certainly have no objections to it.  If authoring tools do in fact
> behave this way, then maybe at some point (decades from now, I
> suspect) we'll get to a world where we can start dropping support
> for encodings that are no longer in use because the documents have
> been transcoded to UTF-8 in the meantime.... Would be nice.

Agreed. I have no problem with authoring tools or servers producing
UTF-8 by default, as long as they explicitly flag it. In fact, HTML
tooling defaulting to UTF-8 would be great! But as I understand it,
the proposal on the table was to change the behavior of HTML
consumers, and that I would object to.

Regards,
Maciej