Re: controlling digits substitution in IE/FF (Arabic/Hindi/Decimal)

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:49:27 +0200
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: daniel.goldschmidt@gmail.com, www-international@w3.org
-On [20090514 09:59], Richard Ishida (ishida@w3.org) wrote:
>I guess the bigger question here is "Should it be possible to represent
>European digit characters with different glyphs (that correspond to other
>Unicode characters)" ?

>From a Unicode perspective I think 'we' would say that representing them
with different codepoints changes the semantic value. It may look similar
(or not, depending on the font) but the meaning behind the character is
totally different.

But for a complete/authoratative answer this issue would need to be raised
on the unicode list, of course.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Can your hear the Dolphin's cry..?