controlling digits substitution in IE/FF (Arabic/Hindi/Decimal)

From: Daniel Goldschmidt <daniel@i18nworld.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:16:22 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org

In Arabic (and other language) the European Decimal digits can be substitute
by Hindi digit depending the context.

On Windows platform there is a possibility to set the digits substitution
behavior to as follow:
 - Context (the default)
 - None
 - National

(Control Panel -> Regional and Language Setting -> Regional Options ->

I'm experiencing differences in the behavior of  Firefox, Chrome, and
Internet Explorer, while displaying digits in pages with dir="RTL" (with
Regional Options set to Arabic(Egypt)):
In Firefox/Chrome the digits are not substituted (European Decimal digits
are displayed)
In IE digits are substituted (Hindi digits are displayed)

What is the reason for those behaviour of the different browsers?
Can I control (using CSS or markups) the behaviour? (I cannot expect the
end-user to change his/her setting in the control panel...).

Daniel Goldschmidt
Internationalization and Localization expert

Office: +972-72-212-2350
Mobile: +41-78-774-6307
Skype: dgoldschmidt

Visit us at www.localizationworld.com