Re: Text Editor

Martin Duerst 2008-11-11 02.23:
> At 23:19 08/11/09, Andre Schappo wrote:
    [...]
>> What I would really like is a Text Editor that I can toggle between
>> "bidi display mode" and "logical display mode"

You mentioned converting to entities as alternative to the perfect
editor. But remember that CSS e.g. can override the effect of the
<bdo> element – so that things gets displayed in typing order:

	bdo[dir="rtl"]{direction:ltr;}

Browsers, as well as WYSIWYG editors like Seamonkey's Composer and
NVU/KompoZer, supports this. In the Tags mode (not the same as
source mode) of those editors, you will both see the overriding
effect as well as the tags.

Thus, provided one are able to wrap a valid <bdo> element around
every RTL character that one wants to check, at the least at that
moment when one want do the checking, then enabling/disabling the
above stylesheet lets you switch between "bidi display mode" and
"typing order display".

> For a somewhat different approach on how to edit bidi html
> and xml, please have a look at
> http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/ and
> http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2008/pub/IUC32-bidi/.
> Comments and questions welcome.

It works: The above CSS rule causes "typing order display" for the
code <bdo dir="rtl">HEBREW</bdo> in your editor.

Question/Thought: The backend seems to rely entirely on SPAN
elements. How about replacing the SPAN elements with BDO elements?
Shouldn't that result in fewer elements and 100%  BIDI overriding
control?
--
leif halvard silli