RE: SVG Tiny bidi tests

Hello Olaf,

Thanks for your comments.  See responses below...

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Fixed. Thanks.

> - I think, this can be removed from the tests:
> "<p>   You can add other paragraphs, or other
>             XHTML block elements that are allows as children of the XHTML
>             body element like tables, lists, etc.

Removed.

> - add pass/fail condition in the description
> (or note the description completely as pass condition)

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  Each test has an assertion (eg. "
Assertion: In the default context, if direction(rtl)+unicode-bidi(embed) are
applied to an inline element containing mixed direction text, the text in
that element will be displayed correctly. ") and pass/fail condition (eg.
"The characters in the text immediately below should be in the same order as
in the reference graphic below it. Font glyph differences are ok."). Is this
not enough?  Or do you mean that I should put the text in a particular place
in the markup?

> - One idea to improve several tests: the first and last glyph of
> each test text could be decorated with two different colors,
> this simplifies testing and identifying direction errors,
> even if the tester does not know the meaning of the glyphs
> or there are only missing glyph symbols, if the viewer has no
> fitting font.

Thanks for the idea.  I think this is relevant to the tests at
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/svg/test-direction-unicode-bidi-0
(rather than those at
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/svg/test-direction-alignment-0 which
test alignment only and for which direction of the text itself is factored
out).  The problem in my mind is that the tests require you to check the
positions of characters at various points in each test result, rather than
just look at what appears first and last. In many cases the first and last
characters are not important for assessing the test.

I also worried that the extra markup could introduce additional uncontrolled
factors into the test.  It may, however, be worth making some tests with
such markup to check that the markup doesn't affect things like direction
and Arabic script joining.  But that's for another day.

Thank you, however, for taking the time to make the suggestion.

Best regards,
RI