Re: meta content-language

Julian Reschke 2008-08-22 16.58:

>>> I don't believe this is a change from HTML4.
>>
>> There is a change here. The current draft has removed the http-equiv
>> functionality from the META element. This means that the author now is
>> "free" to use it to specify the comments outside <html/>, because he
>> isn't actually specifying the language preferences of his intended
>> audience anymore.
>
> I do agree that the current spec language that suggest that it is
> different from HTTP needs to be backed out (for instance, wrt multiple
> languages).
>
> That being said, *this* specific case seems to be in line with what
> previous specs said.

I agree that when we read HTML 4, then the only place an HTML
comment outside <html/> can inherit its language from, is  the
"content-language", whether "content-language" comes from the
server or from the META element.

>> To use "content-language" for that purpose in HTML 4, would be a misuse.
>
> How so?

If the document is intended for an English speaking audience, and
I - whether via the server or via the META element - announce
the comments outside <html />, then I have changed the
"Content-Language" for the wrong reason.

Allthough, strictly speaking, perhaps I only do a very stupid
thing. And perhaps I only misuse HTTP, and not HTML.

> Is this about the difference between meta/@http-equiv='content-language'
> and the Content-Language HTTP header?

There you have another point. I could use META to say
"content-language:ru" - in order to specify the language of those
comments, and use the HTTP header to say "content-language:en".

In a way, this could be seen as merely a way of outsmarting the
system. The HTTP header would of course be the authorative source
anyhow, for those things which the "Content-Language" is designed for.
--
leif halvard silli