Re: For review: Migrating to Unicode

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:48:29 -0400
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, www-international@w3.org

Martin Duerst scripsit:

> I always thought that ^S and ^Q had some distinctive names, but they
> are just listed as DEVICE CONTROL ONE and DEVICE CONTROL THREE in
> Unicode. Their exact definition must come from somewhere else.

AFAIK, the XOFF/XON semantics were defined only by Teletype hardware
and the operating systems that communicated with it, not by any kind
of standard.  Similarly, ^R and ^T turned the paper tape punch on and off.

--
A mosquito cried out in his pain,               John Cowan
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan