Re: For review: Migrating to Unicode

John Cowan wrote:

>> | Windows-1252, an extension of ISO-8859-1

>> Is "extension" strictly correct ?  Or is it only a "variation" ?

> Extension is strictly correct.  ISO 8859-1 does not assign meaning
> to the bytes 0x80-0x9F (the overall framework may assign them
> meaning as control characters), but Windows-1252 does.

That's odd, isn't it ?  When I use iso-8859-1 as Content-Type I
certainly want more than only the minimal C0 set with ESC.  I'm
going to use CR and LF (and maybe HT, FF, and others) without
explicitly invoking a "non-minimal" C0 set.  I also assume that
it's ECMA 43 level 1 without SS2 and SS3, let alone any level 3
locking shifts.  I never tried to invoke a G2 or G3 within a
document claiming to be iso-8859-1.

 Frank