Re: Chinese language and emphasis

A historical caution.
   People have been attempting to kill the use of <i> since the inception
of Gencode[tm] (~1980 predecessor of SGML, then thru HTML, then thru XML).
It isn't going to happen. Using <em> keeps getting proposed, but never
gains traction.

My suggestion: treat <i> as if it was <em> for languages where "italic" is
not a preferred representation. Add another tag if you "really" want shatai
(the closest Japanese has to italic for ideographic glyphs).

---Steve Deach
    sdeach@adobe.com