Re: FW: Internationalization Activity Proposal and ITS Interest Group (Call for Review)

Hi Addison,

Addison Phillips wrote:

> (this is a personal reply; chair hat OFF)

personal reply, ITS Working Group staff contact hat OFF ;)

> Yves Savourel wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think part of the people interested in ITS are not necessarily
>> interested by the more "in-depth" internationalization
>> discussions seen on the i18n IG list. For example localization
>> engineers, XML authors, developers of localization tools, etc. So I
>> think there is some overlap but also a distinct community.
>
> Although I agree with Yves's reasons for wanting ITS to have a
> separate list, I do disagree with the this characterization of the
> winter list. This list serves many communities, not always with
> "in-depth internationalization" issues, and specifically counts the
> audiences listed above as part of it. Discussion of ITS application or
> usage in the broader context of Web globalization can and possibly
> should occur on this list.

probably the relation between the two lists will be (in some sense)
similar to the two "language tags" list. There is the LTRU list used for
the creation and update of the language tag standard BCP 47. And there
is the ietf-languages list used by people wanting to register new sub tags.

I know this comparison between the two cases "i18n mail lists" and
"language tag lists" does not match completely. Nevertheless my point is
that in the language tag list case, we have often a discussion starting
on one list, moving to the other list, going back etc. I assume the same
will happen with discussions on the winter list and the ITS IG list.

Actually I think in the case of "winter list vs ITS IG list" this
interchange between the lists will be a good thing, because it will make
people aware of areas which they might not have looked into before.

Felix