RE: FW: Internationalization Activity Proposal and ITS Interest Group (Call for Review)

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:25:18 -0700
To: "'Jeremy Carroll'" <jjc@hpl.hp.com>, <www-international@w3.org>

Hello Jeremy,

> A question about the AC message with this subject ...
> Is the ITS community sufficiently vibrant and distinct form the
> community on this list, that it makes sense to have two
> different lists rather than a single list?

Yes, I think part of the people interested in ITS are not necessarily interested by the more "in-depth" internationalization
discussions seen on the i18n IG list. For example localization engineers, XML authors, developers of localization tools, etc. So I
think there is some overlap but also a distinct community.

> Also http://www.w3.org/International/its/ITSIGCharterWD.html#communication
> seems to suggest quite a lot of communication for an IG ...
> is there realistically that level of enthusiasm?

Part of the goals of the ITS IG would be to help in the implementation of ITS-aware applications (there are already some
collaborative efforts started), gathering feedback, etc. so communication may need to be a bit more active than for an IG like the
i18n IG.

Regards,
-Yves