Re: Language tag education and negotiation

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:59:43 +0200
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Cc: Nicolas Krebs <nicolas1.krebs3@netcourrier.com>, ltru@ietf.org, www-international@w3.org

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:29:06PM -0700,
 Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org> wrote
 a message of 185 lines which said:

> Unfortunately, the specs are ill-defined regarding the q values.

My main problem with language negotiation in HTTP, and the reason why
I did not configure my browser to list my favorite language (french)
first, is that HTTP make no distinction between original and
translated texts. If I say to the HTTP server "I prefer french, then
english", I get, most of the time, poorly translated and/or
out-of-date pages in french. (Just compare
http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/ and http://www.microsoft.com/fr/fr/.)

What I really would like to express is "I prefer original text in
french or english, then translated text in one of these two
languages." But that's work for RFC 4646 ter :-)