Re: 2 many language tags for Norwegian

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:22:00 -0400
To: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>, www-international@w3.org

Leif Halvard Silli scripsit:

> I am uncertain what the oed (Oxford English Dictionary spelling) tag is
> for.

OED spelling is different from ordinary en-GB in several ways; it's used
in some ISO standards in preference to either en-GB or en-US (or any other).

> Adding more tags would be bad, you said. I wish they had had the wisdom
> to say so when they proposed nb and nn, as we allready had no-nyn and
> no-bok.

>From the viewpoint of 639-1, which is primarily that of librarians and
bibliographers, having separate codes for nn and nb *is* sensible.
Again, it's a matter of adapting a not-quite-suitable standard for
IETF language tagging rather than taking on the immense work and
resulting flame wars from doing our own.

--
John Cowan    cowan@ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The present impossibility of giving a scientific explanation is no proof