Language tags

From: Jonathan Pool <pool@utilika.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:16:58 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-international@w3.org

Could somebody explain why BCP 47 mentions ISO 639-3 only twice as something
that might someday become relevant, and the current discussants about
Norwegian don't mention ISO 639-3? My impression has been that ISO 639-3 is
being increasingly adopted for structured data as the usual basis for
interoperable language reference and the persistence of ISO 639-1 codes in any
standards that intend to be inclusive of the world's languages is a temporary
inconvenience due to backward compatibility. If my impression is wrong, I'd be
grateful for a correction. Thanks.