language declaration on body element (i18n-html-tech-lang)

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:06:28 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org

Best Practice 7 (Using the body tag) of 'Internationalization Best
Practices: Specifying Language in XHTML & HTML Content' [1] states
that there are no UA applicability issues for this best practice.
However, I recently discovered the following issue.
On a test file where a language change from English to German is
declared on the body element [2], the screenreader JAWS 8.0 behaves
differently depending on the browser I use:
with Internet Explorer 6, JAWS reads the test file as English instead
of German, but with Firefox, JAWS reads it as German (as
expected). So there may be a bug in Internet Explorer 6 that causes
language changes on the body element to be ignored.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

[2] test file at
metadata at
(This is part of the BenToWeb project, which develops suites of test
cases for WCAG 2.0.)

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee