Re: [CSS21] Case-insensitivity not defined

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:30:26 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>

fantasai wrote:

> Henri Sivonen brings up the point that ASCII case-insensitivity and
> Unicode case-insensitivity are not the same and that we should define
> what we want for CSS. For example, should WIDTH and WİDTH match?
> WİDTH and width? Should Greek identifiers match case-insensitively
> as well? Accented Latin characters? For that matter should 'e' plus
> combining acute accent match eacute?
>
> a-z and A-Z need to correspond, but beyond that the use of other
> characters in CSS identifiers is limited to mostly to namespace
> prefixes and counter names, neither of which are in widespread use.

Test:

   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/tests/ad-hoc/syntax/case-sensitivity-000.xht

Test results:
   Firefox: case-sensitive counters  Unicode case-insensitive ns prefixes
   Opera:   case-sensitive counters  Unicode case-insensitive ns prefixes
   Safari:  case-sensitive counters  case-sensitive namespace ns prefixes
   Prince:  case-sensitive counters  no support for namespaces

The 2006 spec for CSS Namespaces clearly says that namespace prefixes
are case-insensitive, so I don't know why Safari treating them as
case-sensitive -- particularly since older versions apparently were
compatible with Firefox/Opera.

~fantasai