Re: [CSS21] Case-insensitivity not defined

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:55:50 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>, www-style@w3.org, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>

fantasai scripsit:

> I'd be happy with that if [a-z] and [A-Z] matched each other and didn't
> match anything else. But it seems that's not the case in Unicode.

Well, looking at http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.0.0/ucd/CaseFolding.txt
I find that the basic Latin letters do match each other and nothing
else, if you ignore the language-specific foldings, with one exception.
U+212A KELVIN SIGN, which looks exactly like "K" and shouldn't exist
anyhow (it's compatibility equivalent to a proper "K") is case-folded
to "k".  I consider that to come under the heading of the Right Thing.

It's also true that some ligatures are case-folded to their spelled out
equivalents:  for example, U+FB00 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF is case-folded
to simple "ff".

--
Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers            John Cowan
Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan