Re: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in progress

From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:01:44 +0000
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
CC: 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, W3C Offices <w3c-office-pr@w3.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Hi Martin and all,

Martin Duerst wrote:
> At 08:22 07/10/26, Najib Tounsi wrote:
>>> ... Please note that above, we are always speaking about script, not
>>> language.
>>>
>> BTW, I've noted that ICANN actually tests Arabic + Persian TLDs. Both are languages based on the same Arabic script. One test is redundant?
>>

> I don't think these are redundant. First, please note that somebody
> was careful enough to make sure that the top-level domain actually
> is the same in both cases!
The IDNs to test are of the form http://example.test.
In Arabic it is : http://مثال.إختبا <http://xn--mgbh0fb.xn--kgbechtv/>
In Persian it is: http://مثال.آزمایشی
<http://xn--mgbh0fb.xn--hgbk6aj7f53bba/>
Should be read RTL. It is the 1st part (second-level-domain) which
happens to be the same word in both languages. The TLD is different.
(Please see Punycode in
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-15oct07.htm)
> Second, I think one of the ideas is to
> use a Wiki at these domains, in which case the language starts to
> become important.
I see.
> Third, it's much better to do tests in parallel
> than to later have somebody claim that there haven't been any tests
> in Persian yet,...

I guess that the test results will be the same for both languages. So it
is only for convenience that Persian is double-tested with Arabic.
Personally, I did not complain :-) . But just to know.

Regards, Najib

--
Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi @ w3.org)
W3C Office in Morocco(http://www.w3c.org.ma/)