Re: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in progress

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:03:18 +0100
To: Jonathan Rosenne <rosennej@qsm.co.il>
Cc: 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, 'W3C Offices' <w3c-office-pr@w3.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org

>> Did you mean: "They do not help the users who do NOT know English and
>> do not know the Latin letters."?
>
> Yes, of course.

I disagree, they do help, but not as much as a full IDN system does, not as much
as a full Unicode system does.

If I am Greek and I register my name in Greek as NAME.com or NAME.gr or another
TLD, I know that people can type it in Greek as NAME in the URL bar without any
"http://www." before and ".com/" or ".gr" after, since most browsers do the
completion and the wildcarding in the application, and that counts, this is not
"nothing". http is not planned to disappear afaik.